Oatmeal is the most famous galactagogue. It is excellent for postpartum recovery too and thus is recommended for new mums. A number of lactation consultants also recommend having oatmeal with flax seeds and other healthy fats to maintain and increase your breastmilk supply. Try out this delicious and healthy oatmeal choco chip lactation cookies for boosting your milk supply.
Two more ingredients that work in this recipe and are amazing lactogenic foods are brewer’s yeast and flax seeds. How brewer’s yeast works is not yet known but there are lots of stories on how mothers have benefitted from it. Flaxseeds have phytoestrogens that help in increasing milk supply. Along with flaxseeds – sesame seeds, chia seeds etc. work the same way too. They also have healthy fats that work really well for breast milk production.
Let’s get into the recipe:
- 1 cup White Whole wheat flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp of Salt
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- ⅔ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg (If you are a Vegan, add flaxseed meal)
- ⅔ cups of rolled oats
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients first. Mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground flaxseed.
- In another bowl, mix coconut sugar with coconut oil. Use a hand mixer to assure smooth consistency. Add vanilla extract or egg/flaxseed meal after you have mixed coconut oil and coconut sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet one. Mix it continuously. After you are done, add oats and chocolate chips to the mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to put the dough onto parchment paper. This way all your cookies will be the same size. Bake for around 8-10 minutes and the sides starts to turn light brown. Check them in at around 5-6 minutes once to make sure that the bottom is not burning. Sometimes, cookies bake before time.
P.S. – You can add nutmeg or cinnamon if you like their taste. Adding chia seed powder along with flaxseed powder is good too!
Check out some other recipes to pump up your breast milk production here. There are also some lactation cookies which work crazy and have helped many moms successfully. Try this one here.
Do tell us how this recipe worked for you in the Comments section below.